Kit S: Toledo, OH

Rusty - October 10, 2007

33 Votes | Average: 3.76 out of 533 Votes | Average: 3.76 out of 533 Votes | Average: 3.76 out of 533 Votes | Average: 3.76 out of 533 Votes | Average: 3.76 out of 5 (33 votes, average: 3.76 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

stove-area-after.jpgkitchen_before.gif
NAME: Kit S.
LOCATION: Toledo, Ohio
SIZE/TYPE: Kitchen, 1929 house

The house was built in 1929 and is typical of the era, tiny cramped rooms and really poor plumbing. I bought the house in 2004 with the intention of overhauling the place bit by bit, however 6 months after I moved in that eighty-year-old plumbing gave out and I literally ended up with a waterfall from the 2nd floor bathroom, through the kitchen, and into the basement. Needless to say the timetable for kitchen renovations moved up a bit.

FLOORPLAN BEFORE
kitchen_before.gif

FLOORPLAN AFTER
kitchen-after.gif

For the design of the new kitchen I removed one doorway that led outside to add a little more room for cabinets, which allowed me to move the fridge away from the cramped cooking area and create a nice space for the new stove. The look was inspired by a picture of an Arts & Crafts style kitchen I came across while looking up cabinet styles. I did most of the work (other than the plumbing and hanging the cabinets) on my own, and added some personal touches along the way, including the 2″ blue tile countertop, my favorite part.

MAIN AREA BEFORE

nook-before.jpg

nook-window-crackle.jpg

NOOK AFTER
nook-alsmost-done-2.jpg

stained-glass-nook-lamp.jpg

8 Comments »

1. Finally something other than modern white walls, white cabinents, white carpers, white doors, etc. Your warm colors are inviting. Taking out the cabinets above the window makes such a difference in the apparent volume and openness of the kitchen. Great job.

Comment by Rob — October 10, 2007 @ 6:47 am

2. Very nice work. I too live in an arts and crafts era home, and, while I love the beautiful woodwork and charm, the small kitchens are definitely hard to deal with. What kind of cabinets did you use?

Comment by Mari — October 10, 2007 @ 10:04 am

3. The before and after of your kitchen is very impressive. Small kitchens are so tough and you came up with a thoughtful, workable solution. I’m inspired.

Comment by Kate — October 10, 2007 @ 11:53 am

4. Really beautiful work! You did a great job!

Comment by Katie — October 10, 2007 @ 3:46 pm

5. Mari-
    Those were just standard kraftmaid cabinets you get a Home Depot. When you look at all the options I think people tend to get real fancy on door styles, molding etc. The arts & crafts look inspired me to keep it on the simpler side. I’m actually hoping to build my own home (I mean with my own two hands) in the next couple of years, and I’d like to give building a complete set of cabinets by hand a shot!

Kate-
    Amen. There were SEVERAL versions before I got around to something workable.

Katie-
    Thanks!

Comment by Kit — October 11, 2007 @ 10:14 am

6. I Love all your choices and style.
    Stained glass fixture is just right for you new space!

Comment by Dew — October 12, 2007 @ 5:50 am

7. STUNNING! I love so much about this! I love the tall cabinets, and how well the dark wood goes with the blue tiles. I love how the tiles and stainless SHINE, bringing so much more light into the room. The lighting fixtures are beautiful. The original nook windows are TRULY lovely, and I love how you have showcased them with black, and left them uncovered to let in the light and the view.

I love this site, btw. I just found it, and I get a HUGE thrill seeing what the “average” person can do. Most before/after sites are done by professionals, and while fun too look at, I enjoy seeing the talent of non-professionals.

Comment by Jodi P — October 12, 2007 @ 10:20 am

8. I really love the stove area, including the tile work! The last pic of the light fixture reminds me much of a fixture in my grandparents house. “I like it a lot.”

Comment by Aaron — October 24, 2007 @ 4:32 am