Greetings from San Francisco!

Sarah - November 17, 2007

In August of 2007 my husband Joe and I purchased a very old, very dirty house in the Potrero Hill neighborhood of San Francisco. Our plan is to renovate the entire house in stages and mostly on our own. Renovation voyeur, was nice enough to include us in the ongoing renovation section of this site.

Our house was built in the 1920’s and is a very simple structure. It was listed as a three bedroom, one bath house with a big, overgrown yard. Since we bought the house in August we demoed nearly all of the interior walls. It was an extremely dirty job due to the old lath and plaster. We also modified about 150 square feet of living space so we could inhabit the house. We officially moved in a few weeks ago and we are slowly adjusting to the tiny space and lack of heat, which is not unlike camping.

In addition to the ongoing updates we’ll add to this site, we also have a house renovation blog called, House&Fig. There you can read about all kinds of things such as resources for building materials, green-methods, how-to videos, and general home design.

We hope you enjoy reading about our project and welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Sarah & Joe

1409185472_2b9ae4484b.jpg

1408304029_747cebf98d.jpg

8 Comments »

1. Awesome! My wife and I were just visiting SF last week and were in your hood hanging out, this will be fun to follow.

Comment by Rusty — November 17, 2007 @ 4:48 pm

2. Too bad we didn’t know about it, Rusty. You could have come and seen the destruction yourself. :-)

Comment by Sarah — November 17, 2007 @ 5:15 pm

3. Can’t wait to see some pics of the 150sq ft. of living space. How long until you expect to add more livable square footage to your home?

Comment by brownbear — November 18, 2007 @ 8:11 am

4. Hi brownbear, we’ll be adding one of those prefab, modern sheds in the backyard within a month or two so we’ll have an extra room that’s away from the construction. Right now we are modifying a $35 design we bought in the store at readmademag.com.

Comment by Sarah — November 19, 2007 @ 12:12 pm

5. I just want to be clear. You lived INSIDE the house during the renovation?? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Comment by Stacy Bowie — May 12, 2009 @ 10:13 am

6. I just want to be clear. You lived INSIDE the house during the renovation?? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Comment by Stacy Bowie — May 12, 2009 @ 10:14 am

7. At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming over
    again to read additional news.

Comment by internet download manager — January 11, 2013 @ 4:48 pm